From the archives….
11th February, 2014
It’s a character trait that served me well in my old accounting job over the years and I haven’t changed since I had to take early retirement and took up Photography as a hobby in 2010.
As I go through my old photos, transferring them slowly to my new iMac computer in recent days, I’m amazed at how many shots I’ve taken showing the details of flowers, plants, leaves……………… and the ground. The spare 2T hard drive I used as an intermediary had lots of old deleted images on it (as well as the 2 photo libraries I’d transferred there in recent days).
The image above was in a series I took of the water course in Fern Gully (located in the centre of the Royal Botanic Gardens in Melbourne).
I spent a whole afternoon with the camera on a tripod testing out various shutter speeds to see which one I liked the best when shooting moving water.
It was so interesting experimenting and if you’re new to Nature Photography, I urge you to do the same.
Don’t copy someone else.
Find your own style and camera settings. Experimenting is one of the quickest ways to learn how to use your camera, which settings make for good exposure and how to develop your own Photographic Vision. Sure, tutorials and manuals are a great guide. But personally, I think I learned more by experimenting and reviewing the results on a large screen.
I think I ended up with a shutter speed of 1/20 as my favourite to achieve a slight blur but still retain a sense of movement. I’m not a big fan of those images in which the photographer has ended up with a ‘sea of foam’ which is so popular in seascapes and water falls etc
The same afternoon, I also took a few photos of this Australian Wood Duck couple in the shallow part of the main lake in the RBG. The greyish bird in the background facing the other way is an Eurasian Coot.
I hope to be back to ‘normal’ blogging on my Nature Blog in about 7-10 days (if no more interruptions happen).
Last night I had to type in my password to update Adobe and somehow a virus hopped on to my computer. It was a ‘Smart Search’ browser virus. It kept changing my Google Homepage and as it ‘greyed-out’ where you type in the homepage details in ‘Preferences’ on my iMac, I couldn’t get in to fix it. When I logged on, it kept running a virus scan and telling me I had 217 problems, or faults, and I needed to pay the Virus folk to fix it.
Anyway, the Apple Helpdesk quickly jumped in to screen share and after about half an hour we managed to get the virus in the Trash Bin and eradicate it.